Sunday, 31 March 2013

Design briefs


"Choose an area, it could be a building, street, field, river, shop, that is unused, perhaps unloved. Create a new use for it, incorporating signage for it which introduces and tells passers by about it. Be sensitive to the surroundings, be thoughtful to the user or audience, be smart with materials, make something that people will love. "

Not a big fan of making public art, but I always try to choose briefs that I don't really like; so I get a better scope of different areas of design.
First thoughts on the brief is that I want to work with projections, where I could move images or videos onto a space to show its history or maybe future. But then again I think this is where most people would go with it.

I've always been a fan of "fun design" - if that exists. I think sometimes you can design something just because its fun and playful rather than just to sit perfectly square on a perfect grid. Personally I find it boring. This will probably be my starting point.

Now to contradict myself, look how perfect this is!

thread installations by Gabriel Dawe















No comments:

Post a Comment